Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Unisex Neck Sock

It's free pattern day today.

I designed this "neck sock" so my husband would have something *super* warm to wear while on his motorcycle this winter. I made him a mobius but then I thought about it a little more and realized that I wanted something that didn't have any space for cold air to get into, which is why I designed this piece here. It's pretty much a OSFA kinda thing. It comfortably fits necks up to 18 inches in circumference. To size it down to a kids' size, reduce the number of base chains and rows -- it's as simple as that.

I'm not sure what yarn was used to make this. It was a gift from a friend and the tag had come off it so I can't tell you anything about this particular yarn. As long as you've got a sport weight yarn and your gauge is right on, you should be okay. :)

And now, without further ado, the free pattern.



Unisex Neck Sock




Materials:
430 yd sport weight yarn
G hook
yarn needle

Gauge: 22 rows of 18 sc worked in back loops only = 4"x4"


Finished Dimensions: 15"x5"

Note: Entire pattern is worked in back loops only.

Ch 25

Row 1 - sc in top loop of 2nd ch from hook and in each rem ch to end.

Row 2 - ch 1, sc in same st and in each sc to end. (24 st)

Rows 3 - 73 - rep row 2, leaving long tail at end of last row for joining.

Using yarn needle, join ends together using whipstitch. Weave in ends.

Copyright 2008, Wendy C. Brown. All rights reserved. Reproducing or transmitting this pattern by any means for any purpose other than personal use constitutes a violation of copyright law. Finished product not to be used for resale or profit. Personal or charitable use only.

2 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is such a great pattern, thanks a million for sharing! I think it would be fabulous as a collar under a sweater, I'm all about the layers. I'll be linking to this!

BeccaH said...

I'm new to crochet, but this looks like something I could take on, thank you for sharing! Also, I love that you call it a "neck sock" - I'm going to us that term for any futur cowls / neck warmers I make!